By Karen Polich
Evangelism is the fabric of followers of Christ. – Kevin Linthicum
The idea of evangelism causes most of us to stop dead in our tracks. Me, share the Gospel? The thought can paralyze us and drive terror through our minds, but it shouldn’t. The enemy would have us remain silent. He smiles as we sit in silence. Breaking our silence means communicating the life changing power of Christ.
On Sunday, Pastor Kevin Linthicum shared 12 Reasons to Share the Gospel. Listen to the podcast here.
1. Jesus commanded it. “But what about you?” He asked. “Who do you say I am?” Matthew 16:15. Enough said, but here’s more.
2. The Apostles commanded it. (2 Timothy 4:2-5) Keep your head in all situations.
3. Many people will be encouraged because of the truth of God’s Word.
4. It creates opportunity to work with and for God. (Luke 10:2) Not only are we called into the fields, but there is nowhere we can go outside of the fields. We should be seeking to do what God is asking of us.
5. It precedes baptism and salvation. (Mark 16:16)
6. It proves our love for Jesus Christ. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. John 15:12-14.
7. Evangelism opens the door for healing to take place. (Luke 10:9)
8. It is the gateway of repentance and remission of sins. (Luke 24:47) God IS the authority, not majority opinion.
9. It brings understanding of scripture to humanity. (Acts 8:30) Our evangelism efforts may bring new understanding to someone’s life.
10. It causes the Holy Spirit to move. (Acts 10:44)
11. It is the fruit of righteousness. (Proverbs 11:30) It should break our hearts when someone we care about doesn’t know Christ.
12. Evangelism unites nations, races and cultures by reconciling humanity to God through Christ. There are NO boundaries.
What do we need to share the Gospel? We need obedience. That’s it! Everything else God will give us. He will give opportunities, words and His presence. We are called to reach out.
Jesus has commanded us to be a light in this dark world. How can we choose to be anything less?
Learn more about Time for One here.